Monday, June 6, 2016

Josnorum Scoenonti or "Running Deer" 1715 – 1786 A.D.

My Native American Heritage:

This is the first of several posts I plan to make about my ancestor, "Running Deer," a Native American of the (most likely) Mohican/Mahican tribe who lived in Massachusetts during the 18th century. 

Discovering that I have Native American roots was one of the most sublime moments of my life, as I always felt some sort of connection to my Native brothers and sisters in addition to being surrounded by reminders of American Indian culture while growing up in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana. 

Native American art and beliefs had a strong influence on the paintings I created in my early 20s, as can be seen in my painting below, entitled:  "The Hearts of the Fathers Have Turned to their Children."


Without further ado, here is my Native American lineage (according to FamilySearch.org):  

Josnorum Scoenonti or “Running Deer”
1719-1786
LZ21-PDH


Jane Tryphena “Darker Mother” (Squawman?)
1740- Unknown Death Date
LZD1-98D


Mary Lewis
1763-1835
LZJX-S6J


Sally Hulet (Whiting)
1787-1846
LZJG-HPH


Edwin Whiting
1809-1890
KWJW-7B9


Lorenzo Snow Whiting
1860-1920
KWZR-3GR


Alfred Reese Whiting
1897-1960
KWCP-1PT


Melvin Ray Whiting
1945-2005
KWHR-CY6


Johnathan Reese Whiting
1982- Living
KW6P-VSX

In addition to a family connection, this discovery also struck a chord with my religious beliefs. Being a Mormon, I believe in the record of The Book of Mormon as an actual history of some of the pre-Colombian peoples of the Americas, and that they are "among the ancestors of the American Indians."  

Discovering that I am a descendant of (or "son") of Lehi has opened my eyes to understanding many of the spiritual experiences and feelings I've had throughout my life. My hope is that someday we, the descendants of Running Deer, can piece together the missing links of her lineage and finally be able to fully tell her story and the story of our fathers. 

---------------------------------

Update (2-17-2020):

Some updated information has recently been added to the profiles of Jane Tryphena (Darker Mother) and Running Deer:


https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LX7F-NM4

Tryphena was undoubtedly born in her mother's village along the Hudson River. As a half-white child, she was probably ostracized, so she probably went to Lee where she would have met her husband. Nothing is really known of her birth. Birthplace was not Onondaga, NY.
-per Emily Christensen

Indians at that time did not travel in white man's territory, too many bad feelings. Delaware is far from the Hudson River. No life events were recorded for any of those Indians.
-per Carl Cox

Alternate Name of "Jane Squawman" Removed by Christopher Lee Ogden


https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LZ21-PDH

Alternate Name:  Running Deer Or "Ahoth Pumusuw" In Mohican

Tribe:  Mahegan or Mohican, from village in Hudson River valley, not Lee Massachusetts

Running Deer Life Sketch:

Running Deer was from the Mohican Indian tribe which lived along the Hudson River (the tribal name means Running Water, never still), west of Vermont. She had a child with a white man, of whom we know almost nothing. Her daughter, Jane or Tryphena, evidently moved to the Stockbridge area. Running Deer came to our family genealogist, and gave him such information that we have, along with what we have been able to find out from history. Her great grand-daughter visited her village as a young girl.

What we know about Running Deer: 

FROM PITCH PINE TALES:

-Lived in New England
-Named Running Deer, don't know Indian name
-Husband built a Log Cabin
-Grandma of Rosalia.
-Sally Hulet, great-granddaughter of RD, went to RD village of Wigwam, bent poles and bark, was given buckskin dress, Moccasins, Maple sugar.

FROM FAMILY TRADITION: 

If my memory serves, Mary Lewis and her daughter, Sally Hulet, each visited RD village.
The name of RD spouse could be Charles (NOT Charles Crosby. No connection between Crosby's and Running Deer.)

FROM RECENT HISTORY: 

Not Mohawk. The Mohawks were the Mohicans' historic enemies.

Hudson River valley, S of Lake Champlain, about down to Connecticut. Several villages along there.

Name Mohegan or Mohican, means running water, like the Hudson River.
Book, Last of the Mohicans, may be fairly accurate. The population of that tribe was decimated by disease, war, and other problems.

Remnants of some tribes settled at the Stockbridge Indian Mission, Lee, Mass, in the Berkshires. Some of those tribes now near Green Bay, Wisconsin, others scattered.
"Josnorum Scoenti" is Running Deer in an entirely different Indian language family, no relation to the Mohicans. The name recently found by Carl Cox is from Mohican Indians trying to revive their language.

In the 1950s and 1960s O C Day, the family genealogist, was trying to separate the two candidates Mary Lewis girls. The Mary Lewis born near Boston has a good genealogy, which
does not include any Indian blood. Our Mary Lewis was 1/4 Indian living around Stockbridge or Lee in Western Mass. The mixup between our Mary Lewis' and the Crosby family had
happened before that date, so it is not surprising that the old Pedigree has erroneous information.

--------------------------------

Update (10-18-2022):

Recently learned I'm directly descended from Chief Massasoit (Wampanoag Tribe)!

More on this later, but for now, here's my lineage chart from FamilySearch:





25 comments:

  1. Great start! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts about our family history.

    Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan: I am also a descendant of Running Deer. I am a descendent of Edwin Whiting through his wife Abbey Ann Brown. A couple months ago I noticed for the first time Running Deer in the Whiting line, wow, that was so cool. It is also wonderful to think that we are descendents of Joseph of old both through our European ancestry, as Joseph Smith taught, and through our native American ancestry by way of Running Deer. Miraculous. I live in Ellicott City, Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to add: my name is Randy Campora and my email address, just for fun, is randy.campora@verizon.net

      Delete
    2. Randy! So nice to meet a distant cousin, and I'm glad you commented so that we could make that connection.

      I don't think I've ever met a relative of mine from Maryland, so that's cool, too.

      It is very interesting to me, also, to think about the posterity of Joseph of Egypt and how we fit into his family. The symbolism of Jacob Chapter 5 and Genesis 49:22 have always stood out to me in that regard.

      Hope to hear from you again, cousin. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi there....I too am a descendant of Running Deer and I am trying to get something official documented, as my husband and I are fostering 2 native children whom we would like to adopt if that door opens to us. Being able to prove native heritage would be amazing. This would also mean a lot to my mother, who passed away very young at age 59 in 2012, and was just starting to uncover our native heritage. I am descended from Running Deer to Mary Lewis, whose older daughter Sally married Elisha Whiting, then down to Ordie Whiting, who was my great grandfather and father to my grandmother Laurel Whiting. So my question is--how do I do the research to trace my exact line as you have, and does anyone have experience with registering as a tribal member? It seems like there's not consensus with regard to the tribe that Running Deer came from....and perhaps we're not "pure" enough to be considered tribal members?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I researched my line through Family Search (https://www.familysearch.org/) I'd be glad to point you in the right direction if you still want some help researching your line.

      Delete
  4. If she is Mowhawk, we are not eligible to register as tribal members. They require 25% blood quantam. ): If you could send details about research, my email is poetchem@gmail.com. The tribe will also do research for a fee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ran into "Running Deer" on Family Search, and ended up here. We're related through Edwin Whiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. running deer is my 5 greats grandma
    and my dad told me it was dark baby not dark mother but thats so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Nice to meet you, cousin. :)

      I don't know if "Darker Mother" is what she was called or not, but that's the name on Family Search and the other records I've seen.

      Delete
  8. Hi there, I'm Caleb Harris. I just traced my line back to Running Deer. I descend from Edwin Whiting as well. I just started publishing a blog and regular posts on Instagram and Facebook sharing stories from my life and the lives of my ancestors. You can find me on Facebook as @cufflinksfamily, on Instagram as cufflinks_family, and on the web at cufflinksfamily.com. I'm sure we will have several ancestral stories in common. I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Caleb!

      Nice to meet you. I sent you a friend request on Facebook and started following your Instagram. I checked out your site, too. Pretty cool that you guys have found a clever way to tell Family History stories.

      I'm a storyteller as well, but I deal more in fiction and children's books. You can take a look at the ones I've illustrated and written on my Amazon Author Page:

      https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00P3B0BS2

      Also, I recently added an update to this post on Running Deer. It's at the bottom of the post above. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for checking us out! We are trying to build a social media following to help people get interested in family history. Your blog had some good info. My other research told me RD was Mohawk, not Mohican. But your blog says just the opposite. Thanks for clarifying. I notice you have ties to Rigby, ID. I live in Rigby. Do you get up here often? Maybe we could grab lunch some time.

      Delete
    3. @ElGuyo:

      Glad the info here helped out. My mother and sister used to live in Rigby, back when I lived in Idaho Falls a few years ago. I'd love to grab lunch sometime, but sadly, I live down in Ogden now, and don't get back up there very often - once or twice a year to visit my brother in IF. Thanks for the invite, though. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, My name is Becky Oswald. I live in Utah. I'm a descendant of Running Deer through Edwin Whiting and Hannah Haines Brown. She is my grandmother, 9th generations back. Thank you for allowing all of us to connect with this blog. I appreciate everyone and their efforts to bring her story to life. My email is beckyoswald2261@yahoo.com I'm also connected to familysearch. I'm looking forward to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you, Becky!

      I recently added an update to this post on Running Deer, based on some new information I found on Family Search. Thought you might be interested in it. It's at the bottom of the post above. :)

      Delete
  10. How do I get the vital records ? I am a direct descendant. I live in Utah and I have been looking for this information for years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which vital records are you looking for?

      All the info I have on Running Deer can essentially be found on her Family Search Profile:

      https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/sources/LZ21-PDH

      Hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi, Amelia Cox Riding was my grandmother.... Orville Cox, my uncle. Orville Cox Law is part of the geneology from Running Deer. My daughter found the info on her and I was very excited. Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi... her full name was Miriam Adelia Cox Riding... Running Deer was maybe 5 generations above her.

    ReplyDelete